Friday, 28 October 2011

October




Yes, we are still alive.  =)

Tonight, Phil is doing a fundraiser with his students for their Grade 8 trip in June and the children are in bed, so I'm home "alone" and thinking it's a good evening to catch you all up with our lives.   

We've had a busy month, are feeling like we're getting into the "hang of things" more, and not missing Thunder Bay quite as badly as before.  

We decided to put Josiah into school.  We visited Ministik Elementary during their Open House, and were impressed with both kindergarten teachers.  We also asked around and heard only positive reports. 
We had been noticing a restlessness in Josiah, a need for more social interaction with others his own age... something that wasn't happening with homeschool.  There are no other homeschoolers here, so everybody else was in school all day and, being the "new folks in town," we didn't have much of a social life going on, at least not with people his age.
  It's amazing what school has done for him so far.  The first day, 2 little neighbour boys were in our backyard, playing with him... and almost every day since.  He also loves riding the bus!

I finally took some pictures of the school where Phil teaches....


 a close-up of the name...


and, a picture of the Youth Centre that's attached....


It's a really neat building.


Phil is kept busy with school challenges, a classroom full of students that never give him dull or boring days, and lots of work in preparing for the end-of-the-year trip.  

I'm enjoying seeing people who I actually recognize.  Basically, every trip to the store, every walk I take, I see someone (or more) who I "know."  That's encouraging and makes Moose Factory feel more like "home."

Here are some pictures of Elena's latest favourite thing.....


We found it at a yard sale for $3 and she loves it.  She has to "bike" everywhere, including to the grocery store.  She has to go up every little bump on the road to experience the thrill of "flying down."  


This month, we've had our share of sickness.  Josiah had the stomach flu for the whole Thanksgiving weekend.  We weren't planning much anyhow, but it's still not fun being cooped up indoors on a long weekend.  Last week, the colds/coughs started.  We each had our turn.... and are still recovering.  The coughs seem to linger.....

Now, we're dreaming of snow and winter.  

We were so excited to see the first flurries coming down this week!  It didn't amount to anything, but proved that winter is on its way!


and, no, I didn't even mind that my laundry was hanging out!  By the way, do you notice the pole?  I love having a husband who knows how to use the resources available to keep his family (wife!) happy.  

We still love our family days.  

These photos were taken just before Thanksgiving weekend....


It was a beautiful sunny day, and Moose River was calling us.....


there's nothing better than building sand castles with Daddy!




5 months....  there's no hiding "it" anymore!



probably our last beach day for this year


the boat docks, one of Josiah's favourite places
Here's a water taxi....


the "hospital" boat...


and, just a few other shots of the community




and, we can't forget this one!!


Josiah won this car because of a poster contest he entered with his school class.  He drew 2 pictures, 1 of a tractor and 1 of the Northern Store with a bunch of people standing in front of it.  The pictures were hung up at the Northern and winners chosen by the Health Centre.  Josiah was so pleased to get 1st place!

and, last, here is our office.  It is simply some extra counter space in our kitchen (it's kind of an island, except there's a small wall behind it) where we keep the laptops.


And, that will be all for today.  I hear Josiah coughing quite a bit again  =(   I need to go back to him.

























No comments:

Post a Comment